Academic science is one of the few communities in which most women forgo makeup. I, however, have always preferred to leave the house with a bit of makeup on. It helps me feel like I have prepared for my day, plus there's the vanity factor - I just like how I look better with a touch of makeup. Another thing I prefer is the way people treat me when I wear makeup - they pay more attention, and not in an "I'm attracted to you" kind of way, but in an "I'm listening" kind of way.
It turns out I am not alone in finding that wearing makeup yields better professional interactions. This New York Times article nicely sums up some research (not behind a paywall! PLoS ftw!) showing that women are perceived as more competent when they are wearing makeup, as compared to when they are barefaced. If that has you considering a quick makeup routine in the a.m., here are some of my favorite products to get you started.
- Tinted moisturizer/BB/CC cream. I love this bareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream on days my skin feels dry, since it gives me a dewy, hydrated finish. On my oilier days, I go for Laura Mercier Oil-Free Tinted Moisturizer, which stays put for long runs or even after an ocean swim. At $29.50+, these are pretty pricey, so if you have less sensitive skin, you may be able to score a drugstore comp for cheaper.
- Punchy blush. NARS Blush in Orgasm is a cult favorite for a reason - it creates a healthy looking glow that flatters every skin tone. I've heard that Milani Baked Blush in Dolce Pink is a more economic alternative with almost-as-good results.
- Neutral eyeshadow. Once my Lancome free gift palette (pictured) runs out, I'll likely be splurging on the legendary Urban Decay Naked Palette. The neutral shades are great for quick, error-disguising application, and the black is great for days I feel like spending the extra minute to apply eyeliner (do this by wetting the small eyeliner brush with water before dipping it into the eyeshadow, which gives you a nice inky line that doesn't flake onto your cheeks.). There are loads of neutral palette recommendations here.
- Brow filler. Okay so this isn't normally part of my 6 minute makeup, but on days my face needs a little more help, Anastasia Brow Wiz helps ensure my eyebrows are on point.
- Tinted lip moisturizer. Lipstick is not my friend for many reasons, and instead I favor a sheer moisturizing lip balm like Maybelline Baby Lips in Peach Kiss. Bonus for it being under 5 bucks.
- Mascara. If I had a makeup soulmate, it would be CoverGirl Professional Super Thick Lash Mascara in Very Black. Another bargain at $5, it goes on without clumping, lasts all day without smearing, and rinses off easily with just water. True love.
New to the makeup game and want more in-depth tips? Let us know in the comments, and we will be happy to post a follow-up.
Above photo by Lauren Shipp