Lasagna is a universally loved comfort food, but I've often found that vegetarian versions can lack flavor or rely too heavily on cheese. Recently, a friend shared her creative recipe for a low-cheese vegetarian variant, and it's frankly one of the best lasagnas I've ever had. Because it's not enough to be a good cook, this friend is also a skilled artist, and she created an adorable illustration to walk us through the meal prep. Below is the infographic, plus a step-by-step recipe with photos to make things extra clear. Enjoy.
Vegetable Lasagna Recipe:
- 24 oz. marinara sauce
- 12 oz. Yves vegan ground beef (available at Whole Foods)
- ½ Tbsp. soy sauce
- ~1 tsp. 21 seasoning salute (Trader Joe's) or Menudo Seasoning (available at Mexican supermarkets)
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 2 yellow squashes
- 1 eggplant
- 3-6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 16 oz. frozen chopped spinach (or fresh)
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- truffle oil or walnut oil
- ½ cup pesto
- 16 oz. no-boil lasagna noodles
- 5 oz. herbed goat cheese
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- For a vegan rendition, simply omit the honey and goat cheese.
- For a meaty rendition, substitute real ground beef for Yves, and consider omitting the soy sauce.
- Wash and dry the fresh produce.
- Slice the eggplant and squash into thin slices.
- Slice the mushrooms into ¼ inch thick slices.
- If using fresh spinach, chop coarsely.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Make the red sauce:
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil, and brown the vegan ground beef.
- Stir in and heat the marinara sauce, soy sauce, honey, and either 21 Seasoning Salute or Menudo Seasoning.
- Transfer red sauce into a container, then rinse the pan to reuse.
Roast the eggplant & squash:
- Grease a roasting pan with olive (or walnut) oil.
- Toss the squash, eggplant, and rosemary sprigs with oil to lightly coat, then season with salt.
- Roast the vegetables at 375°F for ~15 min, or until softened.
Sauté the spinach & mushroom:
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil and brown the sliced mushrooms. Optional: add truffle oil to taste.
- Add chopped spinach, and sauté until spinach heats through (if frozen) or wilts (if fresh).
Arrange & cook the lasagna:
- Layer the lasagna in a greased baking dish in the following order:
- red sauce
- sautéed spinach & mushrooms
- roasted vegetables
- Repeat one more set of layers, as above.
- Add one more layer of red sauce on top.
- Top the lasagna with crumbled herbed goat cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 375°F for 40 minutes, or until the top browns.
Enjoy your masterpiece:
- Allow to cool ~5 min, then devour.