From the Web: Election Aftermath Edition
After a week to process what's happening in our country, I've compiled some links to help channel confusion and frustration into understanding and action.
- How racism went viral.
- A little insight into loathing educated professionals while idolizing the rich.
- Two strategies to help you intervene if you witness harassment: 1 and 2.
- A series of tweets explaining how to make your congressperson listen.
- Pick up the phone to fight the appointment of white nationalist Stephen Bannon as chief strategist.
- Locate your district representative here, then click on your rep to locate the number for their non-DC office.
- Pick up the phone, take a deep breath, and politely tell whoever answers something like this:
- "Hello, I would like to leave a message for [name of congressperson]. My name is [your name], and I am calling because I have learned that President Elect Trump is attempting to appoint Stephen Bannon as chief strategist. Stephen Bannon is a known alt-right supporter of discrimination, including racism, sexism, and homophobia. I am pleading that [name of congressperson] do everything in their power to stop a known white supremacist from holding any office in our nation. Thank you!" (They might ask for your name again, area code, and phone number. They might direct you to a press release on the subject. It's okay to ask them for more information about what the congressperson is planning on doing.)
- Check out this amazing google doc for more suggested phone scripts when calling your congresspeople about other issues.
- I’ve joined the surge of donors this week, and if you want to as well, consider making a donation to the following (to support):
- Sierra Club (environment)
- Planned Parenthood (women’s health)
- Southern Poverty Law Center (tolerance & social justice)
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) (civil rights)
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) (racial justice)
- International Refugee Assistance Program (IRAP) (Middle Eastern & North African refugees)